Two appellations, one spirit
Fronsac and Canon Fronsac are sister appellations, bound inseparably together. Situated on the right bank of the Dordogne at its confluence with the Isle, the vineyards stretch northward into the clay-over-limestone hills of the Fronsac plateau.
They share a common history too. 2000 years ago, the Romans occupied the land. Around 770 AD, Charlemagne built a fortress here. Later, in 1663, the Duke of Richelieu acquired the Duchy of Fronsac.
35 km north-east of Bordeaux and 4 km north-west of Libourne and the St. Emilion and Pomerol appellations, the vineyards of Fronsac and Canon-Fronsac are easily accessible from the A10 Paris-Bordeaux motorway and the nearby A89 that serves Libourne.
The Fronsac appellation covers 800 hectares (1977 acres) and includes seven communes: Fronsac, Saint-Aignan, La Rivière, Saint-Michel de Fronsac, Saint-Germain-la-Rivière, Saillans and Galgon.
There are 100 winegrowers with the average size of the properties being eight hectares (20 acres) with a minimum planting density of 5,000 vines per hectare.
Average annual production is 5,000,000 bottles, or 420,000 cases, per year. Each vintage reflects the owner’s passion for their vineyard and their wine.
Canon Fronsac appellation
The Canon Fronsac appellation includes the communes of Fronsac and St. Michel de Fronsac and covers just 240 hectares (594 acres) making it one of the smallest appellations of Bordeaux.
The average size of each holding is six hectares (14.5 acres), with a minimum planting density of 5,000 vines per hectare (2.47 acres).
There are 40 winegrowers who are passionate about their wine which they produce in relatively small quantities. They harvest on average the equivalent of 2,000,000 bottles, or 166,666 cases, each year.